Origianally written March 2016. Updated Jan 2020
You Are Worthy!
Do you believe you are worthy of good things? Do you believe you deserve happiness, peace and joy? What kind of things do you “SAY” about yourself? So many people today say things like “I’m so retarded!”, “That was stupid of me”, “Why did I do that? I’m so stupid!”, “I can’t do that. I don’t know how”, “I’m ugly”, or “I’m fat”. All these things gives us a clue about how someone feels about themselves.
Let Me Clarify
I’m not talking about being egotistical or arrogant. These two character traits have to do with an exaggerated or excessive sense of ones self. What I’m talking about is about having a healthy understanding of your self worth. Believing you are worthy of good things!
God Doesn’t Make Junk
When I was growing up and used to get down on myself for something I did, my Aunt Caroline would always tell me, “God doesn’t make mistakes and he never makes junk so stop talking bad about yourself. He created you for greatness. You just have to believe that yourself!” The Bible has a lot to say about self worth. Matthew 10:31 says “Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows”, Psalms 139:14 says “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well”, Hebrews 10:35 says “Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward”. So we are of great value, we are fearfully and wonderfully made and we are told to have confidence which has a great reward!
But how do we do this. As I stated before, many of us have gotten into the habit of saying negative things about ourselves without even thinking about it. We screw up and immediately say something negative about it. What if instead we said something like “It’s okay, I’ll do better next time”. In other words, give yourself grace for being human! We are not perfect nor will we ever be as long as we are breathing.
Here are some things you can do to improve your self worth:
- Be mindful of the words you are saying to yourself and about yourself. I can’t emphasize this enough. What you say to and about yourself determines the person you become!!!!!
- Don’t EVER compare yourself to another. You are you. God created you to be the way you are. Enough said.
- Give yourself grace. Have compassion for yourself. Think about how you would talk to your closest friend. That’s how you should talk to yourself.
- If someone says something negative about you, it’s up to you if you choose to retain it. You don’t have to absorb what others say about you into what you believe about yourself. It’s your choice. You can keep it or throw it away like garbage (which is usually what it is!). Remember that if someone feels the need to tear you down, it’s usually because they have low self esteem themselves and they feel the need to bring you down in order for them to feel better. Eleanor Roosevelt once said “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” You might want to memorize that one!
- Find purpose and meaning for your life. Set goals. This will give you direction and help move you forward. Take baby steps if you have to. It’s not important how big the steps you take, as long as you are moving forward.
- Take care of yourself, physically, mentally and spiritually. This is another biggy. You must and I mean MUST take care of yourself. What are your eating habits like? Do you exercise? What about sleep, do you get enough? Do you take time to rest and rejuvenate? Do you play? Whatever your spiritual beliefs, do you take time alone for the purpose of developing spiritually? So many of us say “I’m too busy” or “I’m too tired”. I’m guilty of both!! But it is SO important to make your health a top priority or all else it will start to crumble eventually.
Practice Makes Perfect
Remember, you ARE worthy of good things. You can do anything you put your mind to. It all depends on what you believe you are worthy of. I once saw a quote that says it perfectly “It’s not what you are that is holding you back. It’s what you think you are not”!
Print out a big sign that says “I AM WORTHY OF GREAT THINGS”. Hang it by your desk, on your refrigerator, in your car and on your bathroom mirror. Make sure it is in front of your face all day, every day. Say it out loud to yourself multiple times a day until it becomes a part of the very fiber of your being. Say it because it is true. You are worthy!
I hope these tips have been helpful for you. Leave me a comment and let me know. And don’t forget to sign up to receive emails so you won’t miss anything!